Friday, September 02, 2005

Tip: Check your labels!

I thought I was gonna get to get out of cooking tonight, but alas, Mommy-in-law didn't want to cook. I was in a bind and I looked into the fridge and saw one thing that cooks fast and can be made into a million dishes. CHICKEN. Frozen, Skinless, boneless chicken. So, I racked my brains and the pantry to see what ingredients I had.

Nothing much. Great. I found some hoisin sauce, steak sauce, and stirfry. I didnt feel like stir frying or cutting the chicken up ( Since I was also pressed for time). So, I decided to defrost the chicken, and think up ways I can bake it. Then, I looked at the steak sauce label. BINGO! There was a recipe there I could modify.

Tip:
Check your labels. There are recipes lying around there somewhere. If you are in a bind, like I was it could save you.

So, anyway, I decided to modify the chicken recipe I found. Thank YOU steak sauce bottle.

Baked Oriental Chicken

Things you Need:

2-4 pcs Chicken ( Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast)
Steak Sauce ( I used Kikoman Steak sauce- but you could use any)
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper ( Grill seasoning works better, IMHO)
Hoisin Sauce ( it is found in the Oriental Food Isle of your supermarket. Kinda dark brownish sauce) -- this is optional.
** if you cant find hoisin sauce: dissolve 4 tbsp Sugar( or 3 tbsp honey) into 1 cup soysauce add a little pepper. Does the trick ^_^
** Beer or Wine ( Cooking Wine/sherry, white wine) -- optional
Baking Pan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil. ( if you dont like oil, butter does the trick too)
** optional: Sesame Seeds

HOW TO MAKE IT"

1. Defrost the Chicken in Microwave and drain. While doing so, preheat your oven 350 degrees.

2. Once defrosted, sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper / Grill seasoning on chicken making sure it is rubbed on both sides.

3. Put the Chicken in the greased baking dish. Pour in about 1/4 cup steak sauce, 2 teaspoons HOisin Sauce/ Soysauce mix, and spread it on the chicken. bake for about 20 mins.

4. Turn the chicken. ( BE CAREFUL TO USE OVEN MITTS and TONGS! IT IS HOT!) and brush 1/4 cup steak sauce and 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce/ soysauce mix and spread it on the chicken. This time, add the wine/beer (about 1 cup or so) Bake for another 20 mins.

5. Check if the chicken has thouroughly cooked by seeing if there is still pink inside. If there is, bake for another 10-20 mins.


6. Sprinkle Sesame seeds on top and serve with rice. Enjoy!


it was actually fun to make this dish. ^_^ and I was in a rush too. So, please leave me feedback on this recipe.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home